Technical Director Medical Genetics Laboratory Days FT
DMC University Laboratories, Inc.
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Internal Number: 2205025001
DMC University Laboratories (DMCUL) is a regional, integrated laboratory system providing services to the eight hospitals of Detroit Medical Center. DMC University Laboratories evolved in 1993 and is comprised of Core Laboratories, Specialty Laboratories, two rapid response hospital laboratories, Centralized Stat Lab, Centralized Blood Bank Lab, and full service outreach infrastructure which includes patient service centers, remote ambulatory laboratories, marketing staff, courier system and billing department. The DMC University Laboratories service area covers the entire Southeast Michigan market, and is growing at a rapid pace with the following outstanding features: Test menu of over 1,000 tests, which includes high end specialty tests. Less than 1% of our tests are sent to outside reference laboratories. Provide reference laboratory services to many of the other healthcare systems in Southeastern Michigan and several out of state facilities.
In conjunction with Genetics Division Medical Director, assumes responsibility for effective planning, organization, direction and coordination of technical operations of the Medical Genetics Laboratory, including pre-and post analytical functions. In conjunction with Administrative Director, assumes responsibility for controlling productivity, fiscal responsibility and quality of results of test performed under his/her direction. Reports on a variety of specialized diagnostic laboratory tests and procedures.
â�¢ Works with Genetics Division Medical Director to develop and implement technical policies, systems and procedures for the Medical Genetics Laboratory. Provides recommendations and input to policies, procedures and systems for other DMC laboratory functions. Cooperates with Site Medical and Administrative Directors by providing technical assistance for diagnostic testing performed within the Medical Genetics Laboratory.
â�¢ Participates in development and structure of Medical Genetics Laboratory's technical objectives; assists in development of specific short-term and long-range plans and programs including supporting budget and cost information.
â�¢ Establishes and monitors all technical methods, processes and procedures; in conjunction with Administrative Director, cooperates with Medical Director to direct and implement department work schedules, staffing schedules, preventative maintenance programs and personnel requirements for the Medical Genetics Laboratory.
â�¢ Ensures validity, accuracy and analyses of all tests performed within the Medical Genetics Laboratory.
â�¢ Determines and develops department standards for test procedures. Prescribes appropriate test methods and ensures strict adherence to quality control programs within the Medical Genetics Laboratory..
â�¢ Participates in proficiency surveys to evaluate the Medical Genetics Laboratory's performance.
â�¢ Conducts and directs continuing assessment of test procedures; conducts and directs examination of new techniques and methods in order to determine appropriate changes to improve quality, reduce costs and enhance efficiency.
â�¢ Directs technical training programs as required for employees, new employees, medical technology students, medical students and/or residents. Conducts periodic reviews with appropriate personnel to determine progress of individuals.
â�¢ Establishes and maintains technical records and reports as required; issues reports regarding quality and quantity of clinical test procedures and results to management.
â�¢ Maintains liaison with physicians and support staff, such as genetic counselors, nurses, nurse practitioners and dietitians within the Children's Hospital of Michigan Metabolic Clinic and pathologists. Consults with staff at the Michigan Department of Community Health's Newborn Screening Laboratory as required. Prepares and distributes reports regarding discrepancies from standard test procedures and results to physicians and medical directors as indicated.
â�¢ Develops and maintains contacts with educational institutions, professional organizations, government agencies, etc. to keep abreast of changes, developments and regulations related to clinical test procedures for diagnosis of illness and disease.
â�¢ Assists in performance of experimental testing procedures as necessary. Submits results to Medical Director with recommendations regarding changes in methods to improve validity and accuracy of tests.
â�¢ Appraises performance of subordinates and contributes to their development in conjunction with Medical Director and Administrative Director. Ensures adherence to work rules and recommends changes in status as appropriate.
â�¢ Participates in development of operating and capital equipment budget for the Medical Genetics Laboratory.
â�¢ In conjunction with Administrative Director, assumes responsibility for ensuring that the Medical Genetics Laboratory operates within assigned budget.
â�¢ Attends and participates in meetings of board and committees related to administration of the core laboratory as appropriate and assigned.
1. PhD in Life Science relevant to Biochemical Genetics, e.g., Biochemistry, Genetics, etc.
2. Previous experience in a clinical laboratory including administrative and managerial experience in technical activities to develop familiarity with laboratory technical activities and procedures involving Medical Genetics is desirable
3. Board certification or Active Candidacy by the American Board of Medical Genetics in Clinical Biochemical Genetics, Clinical Genetics, Clinical Cytogenetic, or Clinical Molecular Genetics is required.
1. Analytical ability to serve in an advisory/consultative role in determining and/or developing strategies, policies, processes, protocols and methods, frequently in the absence of guidelines or technical assistance, and to evaluate and direct complex systems that foster innovative approaches to procedures/processes.
2. Communication and interpersonal skills for frequent contact with internal customers as well as stakeholders external to the DMC to persuade or negotiate on a wide range of subjects in situations which may be controversial, sensitive and/or lead to confrontation. A mastery of a variety of communication modalities is required to include leading meetings, making formal presentations, and writing complex documents and managing complex relationships over time.
3. Project management skills including the ability to define program, project, or process objectives, identify stakeholders and their interests, plan steps, coordinate and allocate human, technological and fiscal resources to accomplish goals and objectives in a resourceful yet timely manner.
4. Leadership skills including demonstrated willingness to pursue leadership roles with increasing levels of accountability, comfort with decision-making responsibilities, coaching, teaching and counseling skills, and the ability to inspire and build confidence in others and to forge alliances and garner support.
Job: Managers and Directors
Primary Location: Detroit, Michigan
Facility: DMC University Laboratories, Inc.
Job Type: Full-time
Shift Type: Days
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicantâ��s or employeeâ��s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Tenet Healthcare Corporation (NYSE: THC) is a diversified healthcare services company headquartered in Dallas with 112,000 employees. Through an expansive care network that includes United Surgical Partners International, we operate 65 hospitals and approximately 510 other healthcare facilities, including surgical hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, urgent care and imaging centers and other care sites and clinics. We also operate Conifer Health Solutions, which provides revenue cycle management and value-based care services to hospitals, health systems, physician practices, employers and other clients. Across the Tenet enterprise, we are united by our mission to deliver quality, compassionate care in the communities we serve.
AABB (Association for the Advancement of Blood & Biotherapies) is an international, not-for-profit organization representing individuals and institutions involved in the fields of transfusion medicine and biotherapies. The Association works collaboratively
to advance the field through the development and delivery of standards, accreditation and education programs. AABB is dedicated to its mission of improving lives by making transfusion medicine and biotherapies safe, available and effective worldwide.