Blood Bank of Alaska is seeking a director to oversee our Hospital Services and Manufacturing Department in Anchorage, AK.
This position will be responsible for:
- Ensuring manufacturing and distribution areas of the Blood Bank of Alaska are operating in compliance with applicable government regulations, accrediting agency standards or consignee requirements.
- Ensuring a dedicated focus on the production and distribution of quality products in a timely manner while providing the highest level of customer service.
- Participating as a member of the blood bank’s management team in planning, program formulation and decision making with particular reference to the role, functions and technical support of the manufacturing and distribution of blood products.
- The incumbent for this role must possess excellent conceptual, communication, and analytical skills. Must understand general work flow processes and equipment used in a medical facility. Must have excellent interactive skills necessary in communicating with co-workers, customers, and regulatory officials.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement a team that embraces customer service and ownership for meeting recipient needs while working in conjunction with collections to ensure patients’ needs are met in a timely manner. Foster staff development to support organizational objectives and standards.
- Review, revise, and create standard operating procedures (SOP’s) for manufacturing, distribution, critical supply management, and equipment management.
- Foster and enhance customer hospital relations. Resolve customer complaints/issues immediately, using appropriate support departments as needed.
- Ensuring there is an adequate blood supply to meet customer needs. Overseeing import of needed blood components and exporting excess blood products, as needed to maintain appropriate inventory levels.
- Oversight of equipment and critical supply management programs and compliance.
- Oversight of Certified Cargo Screening Program (CCSP) program at BBA.
- Assisting with administration of equipment management, inventory management, and temperature monitoring software.
- Incident Commander and if necessary act as liaison for BBA during an emergency (emergency, crisis or natural disaster).
- Actively educate staff on cGMPs, regulations, standards, procedures and processes. Set expectation for reduction of errors in operations and compliance to meet or exceed company objectives.
- Promote a positive work environment in which staff work cooperatively towards objectives. Work cooperatively with all staff to ensure production of a quality product and there is a focus on exceptional customer service.
- Maintain donor and employee confidentiality.
- Follow all pertinent SOP’s that relate to this position. Document required information on appropriate records as needed.
- Route issues appropriately to support departments. Maintain communication through all levels of organization, encourage employees to utilize appropriate support departments as necessary to resolve issues and answer questions.
- Maintain positive communication with all departments. Promote a positive work environment in which staff work cooperatively towards objectives.
- Attend all relevant meetings as scheduled and able to attend.
- Build employee morale through recognition, strong leadership, constructive feedback and performance appraisal.
- Develop a team that embraces customer service. Focus on staff development in support of organizational objectives and standards. Identify professional development opportunities for applicable staff and self.
- Perform performance evaluation and disciplinary review of applicable staff.
- Make employee safety, timely reporting of safety issues and employee well-being a priority at all times.
- Maintain open and positive communication with management and staff.
- Exhibit support of BBA values, quality objectives, and customer service standards at all times. Promote the strategic direction of BBA to all employees.
- Help maintain positive image of BBA throughout the community while maintaining overall corporate image.
- Perform other duties as assigned and qualified to do.
Customer Interaction/Problem Solving
- Must maintain a high standard for conscientious, courteous, and enthusiastic service to internal and external customers, and the public in general.
- Must make customer’s needs a high priority in face-to-face, e-mail or telephone contact.
- Must consistently deliver service in a timely, accurate, professional, and friendly manner.
- Demonstrate a high level of problem-solving skills.
Supervisory Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to identify needed changes in procedures, practices, goals, direction or structure of the department and organization. Ability to promote and implement these changes effectively in a timely manner.
- Ability to work with others to achieve departmental and organization goals and objectives.
- Ability to ensure that department budget is followed and objectives are met. Effectively monitor resources and progress.
- Ability to motivate and empower employees to utilize their abilities and talents effectively.
- Ability to work effectively to improve the skills of employees by providing clear, specific and helpful feedback, and effective coaching and mentoring.
- Demonstrate a positive attitude toward one’s work and job.
- Ability to act honestly and with integrity, showing respect for laws, the rights of others, and Blood Bank of Alaska mission.
- Ability to adapt to various situations, to work effectively with a variety of individuals and groups, to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives of an issue, and to adapt approach as the requirements of the organization/department change.
- Ability to change within the organization or to change job requirements as needed. Retain subject matter expertise in field or profession.
- Demonstrate ability to work independently and in stressful situations.
- Demonstrate personal attributes conducive to an auditor including: ethical, open-minded, diplomatic, observant, perceptive, versatile, tenacious, decisive, and self-reliant.