PRIMARY PURPOSE: Under minimal direction, this position is responsible for the technical oversight of component manufacturing and laboratory services. Ensures Current Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP) regulations are in place for the manufacturing processes including SOPs, training and competency, and error management.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: 1. Performs all assigned duties in compliance with internal SOPs and external regulations. Brings compliance issues to the attention of management.
2. Assures quality customer service to all customers.
3. Maintains good attendance and punctuality per the absence policy.
4. Hires, supervises, trains, and evaluates performance of assigned personnel. Identifies and effectively resolves personnel issues.
5. Oversees manufacturing and technical processes to assure compliance with manufacturing SOPs and regulations; oversees the laboratory and assigned departments work flow.
6. Ensures the accuracy, completeness, timeliness, and document control of manufacturing records. May prepare and/or review laboratory reports and records in accordance with SOPs. Takes corrective action and documents incidents. May perform final review of high-complexity testing records per CLIA requirements.
7. Writes Internal Procedures, as appropriate.
8. Performs pilot studies, as assigned.
9. Manages the reporting and resolution of deviations (e.g., errors, quarantine, recall, equipment/reagent failures, and accidents). Oversees technical support services such as Post Donation Information, Potential Duplicate Donor records, and Progesa Corrections.
10. Develops and maintains regular and effective communications and relations with hospital personnel. Customer relationship is proactive and on-going and may include problem-solving, education, technical support, and program development.
11. Assists Senior Director of Manufacturing and Laboratory Services and Medical Affairs with donor notification, donor counseling, and look back.
12. Performs all other duties, at the discretion of management, as assigned.
Certification as a Medical Technologist by a recognized certifying agency required.
Certification as a technologist in blood banking (BB) or specialist in blood banking (SBB) preferred.
State licensure (as required by regulations).
Five years laboratory experience required. To include:
Three years supervisory experience required.
Previous blood bank or blood center experience preferred.
Must possess the skills and abilities to successfully perform all assigned duties and responsibilities.
Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
Ability to work in a team environment and participate as an active member of management.
Effective oral and written communication skills.
Must have a participative management style, strong team development, and coaching skills.
Must have analytical, statistical, personal organization, and problem solving skills.
Must have proficient computer skills.
Employer will assist with relocation costs.
Additional Salary Information: Competitive based on experience. Potential for incentive bonus.
Internal Number: 190991
Vitalant exists to help people realize their life-transforming potential by offering convenient blood donation opportunities and sharing our expertise in transfusion medicine. Founded in 1943, Vitalant is one of the nation’s oldest and largest nonprofit transfusion medicine organizations. We comprise a network of nearly a dozen community blood centers, each with its own rich history and legacy. Vitalant is an internationally known and respected leader that continues to push the boundaries to advance the experience, practice and application of transfusion medicine.
With our national footprint, deep community roots and specialized services, we are the thread that connects people and resources together to fuel progress in transfusion medicine. Our shared mission to save and improve the lives of others is our greatest strength. Read more about our collective impact.
We are deeply committed to making a transformative difference in people’s lives by:
-Bringing together top experts in our field
-Inspiring people to give blood
-Producing a safe and ready blood supply
-Offering specialized patient services and pharmaceuticals
-Advancing cutting-edge ...research, and
-Embracing continuous quality improvement and operational excellence.
Vitalant provides blood and special services to patients in more than 1,000 hospitals across 40 states. Millions of people in communities throughout these states depend on generous volunteer blood donors and our dedicated team to make sure lifesaving blood is available when and where it is needed. Learn more about special donation opportunities, news and activities in your community and beyond.
World-renowned, Vitalant Research Institute is engaged in scientific studies ranging from blood donor epidemiology to cellular therapy to virus discovery. Vitalant is a partner in the operation of Creative Testing Solutions, the largest independent blood donor testing organization in the U.S. Several high volume laboratories spanning the country test 75 percent of the nation’s blood supply. Our BioCare for-profit subsidiary has wide-reaching distribution capabilities to quickly and efficiently deliver therapeutic biologicals such as albumin, coagulation factors and Rh immune globulin to hospitals, clinics and physician offices. CanyonCARE Rx, part of BioCare, is a full service pharmacy specializing in medications for hemophilia, von Willebrand disease and other bleeding disorders. And, our organization is self-insured with our wholly-owned subsidiary Canyon State Insurance.
Vitalant is a founding member of AABB (a professional organization that provides standards development and accreditation for blood centers) and was a driving force in the creation of America's Blood Centers (a consortium of independent community blood centers throughout the U.S. and Canada, including Vitalant). Both organizations play a major role in communicating advances in transfusion medicine nationwide.