Under general supervision, the medical technologist/MLS is accountable for performing a variety of transfusion specific testing including manual and automated methods. Additional responsibilities include the management of blood products for patient use.
Essential Job Duties
- 1. Performs routine and STAT laboratory testing, reviews results for accuracy, problem solves, and reports accurate and timely information.
Performs advanced antibody identification techniques including removal of bound IgG, titration testing and elution preparation/testing.
Provides blood products for Trauma 1 activations, helicopter scene flights and massive transfusion protocol events.
Provides blood product support for solid organ transplants, five different adult intensive care units, a large Neonatal ICU and an active out-patient infusion center.
- Manages a progressive whole blood product inventory for use in trauma resuscitation.
- 2. Completes required quality control testing, maintains records and documentation necessary to fulfill regulatory agency requirements, and takes appropriate corrective action as necessary. Performs periodic regulatory reviews of quality control data.
- 3. Performs preventative maintenance, cleaning and calibration procedures according to SOPs and manufacturer's developed schedules.
- 4. Performs proficiency testing and achieves satisfactory results related to all specialties or areas worked. May provide oversight / coordination of proficiency testing and review.
- 5. Completes at least 15 hours per year of Continuing Medical Units in appropriate areas to maintain certification.
- 6. May provide appropriate instruction to patients and their family members.
- 7. Acts as a technical expert to co-workers and other departments. May mentor staff, deliver education, and foster customer service.
- 8. May help maintain supply inventory, notifying supervisor when supplies are low.
- 9. May prepare education materials, and provide input on SOP revisions
- 10. May serve on hospital or system committees.
- 11. May evaluate new equipment.
- 12. May function as the key operator for assigned equipment.
- Benefits Eligible: Yes
- Shift Details: Full time 7 on 7 off - Graveyard
- Department: Laboratory Transfusion - Intermountain Medical Center