· Performs simple to complex clinical laboratory tests in one or more sections of the laboratory. Work requires a professional level of knowledge in order to perform, interpret and record patient test results, especially those which are abnormal or atypical.
· Duties may vary by assigned area but include quality control performance and interpretation, basic instrument maintenance and troubleshooting, proficiency testing assignments and basic inventory management.
· Independently performs patient testing in one or more sections of the laboratory (Chemistry, Hematology, Microbiology, Blood Bank) according to laboratory procedures and established turnaround times.
· Includes waived, moderate and high complexity tests. Testing includes knowledge of specimen acceptability requirements and result interpretation.
· Certification as a medical laboratory scientist required (ASCP) or certification eligible. Bachelor or Associates of Science degree in medical technology, clinical laboratory science or chemical, physical or biological science required.
· Applies theoretical knowledge to test information to insure accurate results.
· Manages multiple priorities maintaining accurate and timely test results.
· Communicates appropriate information to team members, patient care personnel and physicians.
· Works as a team member: shares information on workload and problems helps co-workers as needed; escalate issues as appropriate.