LifeSouth Community Blood Centers is currently seeking a skilled individual for a Laboratory Services Supervisor position in our Immunohematology Reference Laboratory in Atlanta, GA. This position is responsible for monitoring staff and providing laboratory oversight. This position will also perform pre-analytic, analytic, and result reporting/releasing procedures.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Follow corporate and departmental policies and procedures pertaining to job performance and personal conduct
- Perform and oversee staff that performs laboratory testing, including instrument startup, function checks and quality control procedures; troubleshoot problems using established procedures
- Supervise and monitor the laboratory’s procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analyses, reporting and maintaining records of patient and donor test results
- Review and release test results to authorized personnel; protect donor and patient confidentiality in compliance with state and federal laws
- Maintain records that demonstrate proficiency testing. Participate in and ensure staff participates in proficiency testing challenges. Complete and document regular competence assessments for self and staff as requested by the Laboratory Manager
- Adhere to the laboratory’s quality control policies; monitor quality control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations, and ensure maintenance is performed in accordance with policies and procedures
- Exercise professional judgment in evaluation, specimen integrity, result accuracy and inter-result validity; take corrective action as necessary
- Bring on new assays consistent with quality assurance processes
- Identify problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and either must correct the problems or notify a supervisor or director. Document all corrective action taken
- Alert the Technical Director and Medical Director about situations that endanger the health of a patient, donor or fellow employee and when applicable, take immediate steps to correct the situation
- This position may be expected to be frequently on call to fulfill the needs and obligations of the position
- Bachelor’s degree in clinical laboratory, chemical or biological science
- SBB Certification
- Clinical laboratory training program and five years of clinical laboratory experience at a licensed, certified or accredited facility; Master’s degree may compensate for less experience
- Must be able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to organize and manage time effectively
- Must be able to multitask and organize and prioritize own work schedule
- Ability to organize thoughts and ideas into understandable terminology
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Previous supervisory experience
This is a full-time position. Starting salary range is $32.00 - $35.20 an hour. Background check and drug test required. Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer/DFWP/Tobacco Free.
The position description may not include all the duties and responsibilities of the job. Duties and responsibilities that are not listed, but which the employee may be expected to perform, will fall within the scope of the skills, knowledge and training for the position.
LifeSouth is a Drug-Free and Tobacco-Free Workplace. LifeSouth is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor as well as an affirmative action employer and provides equal opportunity to all persons, regardless of race, religion, age, gender, disability, status as a protected veteran, national origin, color, or any other classification in accordance with federal, state, and local statutes, regulations and ordinances. Veterans are encouraged to self-identify as LifeSouth desires to provide protected veterans priority referrals for open positions. LifeSouth complies with all laws and regulations associated with the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
If you require any assistance to complete the application process or during the interview due to a disability, please contact the LifeSouth region where you are applying or call 1-888-795-2707 to request an accommodation. If you have questions regarding the information contained in this job posting call 1-888-795-2707 and ask to speak to the Talent & Recruitment Coordinator. Applications may be completed at a LifeSouth facility or mailed to corporate headquarters in lieu of the on-line application process.