LifeSouth Community Blood Centers is currently seeking a skilled individual for a Laboratory Services Manager position in our Immunohematology Reference Laboratory (IRL) in Gainesville, FL. This position is responsible for overseeing all laboratory testing activities performed in LifeSouth facilities. This includes meeting the needs of internal and external customers for accurate, timely and high-quality immunohematology reference laboratory testing and, when appropriate, transfusion services, for providing oversight for compliance with established laboratory policy and for providing required quality control laboratory testing for blood and cellular therapy components. In addition, this manager will provide technical input to Quality Assurance to ensure compliance with governmental regulatory, including CLIA, HIPAA and state licensing regulations, and with voluntary accreditation requirements including AABB, FACT-NetCord and The Joint Commission.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Design and deliver appropriate systems, technologies and protocols to meet technical requirements to ensure the highest quality components for patient transfusion and transplantation
- Serve as main point of contact to advise and consult with hospital blood banks/transfusion services, ordering physicians and other concerned persons regarding these services. Ensure effective customer service to both internal and external contacts
- Perform duties of a technologist in immunohematology, hematology, microbiology, immunology/serology and/or molecular pathology when needed
- Provide day-to-day supervision of the IRL, QC testing and/or Putnam laboratory staff. Analyze trends and statistics to determine proper staffing levels to meet goals. Ensure high quality transfusion services in contract hospitals
- Recommend technologies for component preparation and for comprehensive laboratory support of required testing for whole blood, apheresis components and cellular therapies, including QC to meet regulatory and accreditation requirements
- Review testing methods to ensure compliance with safety and blood and cellular therapy component quality standards; initiate change and/or implementation of testing methods
- Learn and follow corporate and departmental policies and procedures pertaining to job performance and personal conduct, such as those covered by LifeSouth’s cGMPs, safety and manager and employee handbook training programs
- Prepare justification for personnel and for equipment requests; assist executive staff with developing annual budget proposals; oversee department expenditures in accordance with budget allocations
- Assist the QA department with monitoring of testing and components selection for transfusion to ensure compliance with standards, regulations and procedures; ensure staff participation in QA program in the interest of donor and patient safety
- Ensure the Medical Office is promptly informed about situations that endanger the health of a patient, donor or fellow employee and, when applicable, take immediate steps to correct the situation
- Maintain scientific and technical knowledge from current sources, such as AABB standards, FACT/NETCORD standards and applicable federal and state regulations
- This position may be expected to be frequently on call to fulfill the needs and obligations of the position
- Bachelor’s degree in clinical laboratory, chemical or biological science
- Florida Board of Clinical Laboratory Personnel licensure as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist
- SBB Certification
- Five years of clinical laboratory experience at a licensed, certified or accredited facility
- Previous supervisory experience
- Master’s degree may compensate for less experience
- Must be able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to organize and manage time effectively of self and team members
- Excellent teamwork and leadership skills
- Ability to organize thoughts and ideas into understandable terminology
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Master’s degree
This is a full-time position. Starting salary range is $85,000 - $93,500 annually. Background check and drug test required. Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer/DFWP/Tobacco Free.
The position description may not include all the duties and responsibilities of the job. Duties and responsibilities that are not listed, but which the employee may be expected to perform, will fall within the scope of the skills, knowledge and training for the position.
LifeSouth is a Drug-Free and Tobacco-Free Workplace. LifeSouth is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor as well as an affirmative action employer and provides equal opportunity to all persons, regardless of race, religion, age, gender, disability, status as a protected veteran, national origin, color, or any other classification in accordance with federal, state, and local statutes, regulations and ordinances. Veterans are encouraged to self-identify as LifeSouth desires to provide protected veterans priority referrals for open positions. LifeSouth complies with all laws and regulations associated with the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
If you require any assistance to complete the application process or during the interview due to a disability, please contact the LifeSouth region where you are applying or call 1-888-795-2707 to request an accommodation. If you have questions regarding the information contained in this job posting call 1-888-795-2707 and ask to speak to the Talent & Recruitment Coordinator. Applications may be completed at a LifeSouth facility or mailed to corporate headquarters in lieu of the on-line application process.