At Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, Illinois, you won't just find a career – you'll discover an exclusive experience that gives you an opportunity to learn more, grow more and become more. Our staff demonstrates an unwavering commitment to patient care, consistently performing at a level that is extraordinary. As part of our team, you’ll discover why our unique combination of research and patient care has earned us national ranking by U.S. News & World Report. What’s more, you’ll work in one of the most popular, cultural, historical and diverse cities in the nation. Located on the shores of Lake Michigan, Chicago is known for its nearly 200 distinct neighborhoods and extensive park systems, along with numerous sports teams, museums and a vibrant theater community.
Laboratory Manager - Blood Bank
We are seeking a skilled and experience individual to serve as the Laboratory Manager of Rush’s Blood Bank. In this role, you will assume direct managerial responsibility for the blood bank. The Laboratory Manager works closely with the Chair of Pathology, Administrative Director, Laboratory Directors, Laboratory Managers and supervisory staff. This position provides back-up for and acts as the Administrative Director in the Administrative Director's absence. Employees of the Blood Center have the opportunity to hone their antibody skills through exposure to complex antibody identification cases at a fast-paced, high-volume surgical and oncology medical center.
- Manage a 24/7 operation with 27 testing personnel and two direct supervisory reports
- Meet with vendors to negotiate contracts for services and supplies
- Develop and maintain a strong working knowledge of the contractual language negotiated in these contracts
- Ensure smooth operation of the laboratory's testing, reporting and billing for the RUMC in- and outpatients, research and outreach clients
- Ensure any identified regulatory or accreditation deficiencies are corrected in a timely and accurate manner
- Provide leadership to the Client Services area; meet with clients and potential clients as needed; work closely with the staff to ensure efficient and cost effective service to clients
- Provide guidance and oversight to ensure consistency across all the laboratories in hiring practices, compensation, promotions and disciplinary actions
- Work closely with the Chair of Pathology, Directors, Laboratory Managers and supervisory staff in developing, updating and monitoring the achievement of long-range goals and objectives for the Department of Pathology/Rush Medical Laboratories
- Participate as needed in the provision of continuing education and in-service programs for the staff
- Serve as an instructor of Rush University; prepare and gives formal management-related lectures to the medical laboratory science students and/or pathology residents; maintain availability to mentor and advise Health Systems Management students on specific projects or assignments
- Act as the representative for the Department of Pathology/Rush Medical Laboratory on any RUMC, Rush Health, Rush System for Health or other appropriate committee, subcommittee or task force
For further details and to apply, please visit http://bit.ly/jobsatrush and search for Job Number 2016-2616.
Rush is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.