LifeSouth Community Blood Centers is currently seeking an individual to join our team as a Medical Director in Gainesville, FL. The selected candidate will be expected to contribute significantly to LifeSouth’s strategic goals.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Answer staff questions about donor eligibility during routine working hours for center and mobile collections according to eligibility standards and LifeSouth policies and procedures
- Evaluate requests for autologous collections, directed donations, and therapeutic phlebotomies consistent with Medical Office procedures
- Review and evaluate Donor Incident Report
- Provide consultation to donors requesting medical evaluation after adverse donation outcome
- Provide medical oversight for therapeutic apheresis procedures that meet or exceed ASFA standards in approved sites and provide medical support to LifeSouth staff in performance of such procedures
- Serve on relevant hospital transfusion committees and become a member of the hospital medical staff for provision of therapies, as needed
- Assist in investigations of reported patient adverse reactions, such as: transfusion-transmitted diseases, TRALI, and bacterial sepsis
- As assigned, provide medical direction for one or more CLIA-certified LifeSouth laboratories, including performing biennial review of SOPs and making recommendations for improvements, participating in recommending laboratory instrumentation/methods and in the validation of same, and support the Technical Director as requested for day-to-day laboratory practices
- Provide educational offerings in Medical Technologist program and other educational endeavors
- Engage in continuing medical education to further knowledge of medical and regulatory aspects of blood banking, transfusion medicine, and cellular therapy
- Hold membership and participate in relevant professional societies (such as the FABB, SEABB, AABB, ASFA, ASHI, SABM, CAP, ASCP, ISCT, and ISBT)
- Be on call as needed to fulfill the needs and obligations of this position
- M.D. or D.O. degree with post-graduate training in blood banking/transfusion medicine
- Must obtain/maintain an active medical license in Florida, Georgia and Alabama
- Must be board certified or eligible in blood banking/ transfusion medicine, pediatrics or clinical pathology
- Valid driver’s license for state of residence is required. Must meet and maintain LifeSouth driver’s eligibility requirements
- Knowledge of FDA regulatory requirements, AABB/CAP/FACT/TJC accreditation requirements and ISBT and other standard setting organizations
- Willingness to travel as necessary
- Be on call as necessary
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Five years of experience in blood banking/transfusion medicine
- Experience as an Assistant Medical Director, Associate Medical Director and/or medical educator
This is a full-time position. Starting pay based on qualifications and relevant experience. Travel and relocation expenses are reimbursable. Background check and drug test required. Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer/DFWP/Tobacco Free
The position description may not include all the duties and responsibilities of the job. Duties and responsibilities that are not listed, but which the employee may be expected to perform, will fall within the scope of the skills, knowledge and training for the position.
LifeSouth is a Drug-Free and Tobacco-Free Workplace. LifeSouth is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor as well as an affirmative action employer and provides equal opportunity to all persons, regardless of race, religion, age, gender, disability, status as a protected veteran, national origin, color, or any other classification in accordance with federal, state, and local statutes, regulations and ordinances. Veterans are encouraged to self-identify as LifeSouth desires to provide protected veterans priority referrals for open positions. LifeSouth complies with all laws and regulations associated with the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
If you require any assistance to complete the application process or during the interview due to a disability, please contact the LifeSouth region where you are applying or call 1-888-795-2707 to request an accommodation. If you have questions regarding the information contained in this job posting call 1-888-795-2707 and ask to speak to the Talent & Recruitment Coordinator. Applications may be completed at a LifeSouth facility or mailed to corporate headquarters in lieu of the on-line application process.
Employer will assist with relocation costs.
Additional Salary Information: Starting pay based on qualifications and relevant experience. Travel and relocation expenses are reimbursable.
About LifeSouth Community Blood Centers
LifeSouth Community Blood Centers is a community blood supplier for local hospitals in Florida, Georgia and Alabama. LifeSouth is committed to meeting the blood supply needs of these hospitals in each of the communities we serve by providing the highest quality blood components and services.
Each year, nearly five million Americans need a blood transfusion. To meet our responsibility, we need to collect 266,000 blood donations a year. That’s 728 donors a day. With over 30 donor centers, 37 blood mobiles and over 1,000 blood drives a month, our LifeSouth team is committed to making sure the blood is there when you or your family member is in need. We are your community blood center. The blood supply collected from our donors directly serves the needs of patients at over 100 medical facilities throughout our footprint. The blood donated here will stay in our community for local patient transfusion. Only if our local supply is met will LifeSouth share our blood resources with other communities.
There are no substitutes for blood. Patients who need blood transfusions to survive depend on volunteer donors who give the gift of life. As a community blood center serving the communi...ty’s needs, we ask everyone to join us in a commitment to grow this community’s blood supply. We promise to partner with businesses and provide dynamic, fun and innovative blood donor recruitment programs. We promise to use every resource we have to uphold our commitment to meet the community’s needs for blood.
Volunteering to give blood is giving the gift of life. We hold this gift with the highest regard. Please consider becoming a part of our community’s blood supply by donating blood with LifeSouth.