SBBs wanted for Immunohematology Reference Labs (IRL) serving one of the largest population of sickle cell patients in the Southeast. LifeSouth’s SBBs provide results of complex serologic investigations, compatibility testing and consultation services to hospitals. The LifeSouth IRLs have access to an extensive database of African American blood donors who have been previously typed by molecular methods. Positions are available in Atlanta, GA and Gainesville, FL for qualified individuals to join our dynamic interdisciplinary team.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Perform and oversee staff that performs laboratory testing, including instrument startup, function checks, and quality control procedures; troubleshoot problems using established procedures.
- Supervise and monitor the laboratory’s procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analyses, reporting, and maintaining records of patient and donor test results.
- Ensure that laboratory staff adheres to policies and procedures.
- Manage problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results; correct these problems and notify the Laboratory Manager. Document all corrective action taken.
- Review and release test results to authorized personnel; protect donor and patient confidentiality in compliance with state and federal laws.
- Maintain records that demonstrate proficiency testing. Participate in and ensure that staff participates in proficiency testing challenges. Complete and document regular competence assessments for self and staff as requested by the Laboratory Manager.
- Adhere to the laboratory’s quality control policies; monitor quality control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations, and ensure maintenance is performed in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Assist Laboratory Manager with staffing and routing daily issues.
- Bachelor’s degree in clinical laboratory, chemical, or biological science.
- Specialty in Blood Banking (SBB) certification. Five years or more in an accredited high complexity reference laboratory may be considered in lieu of SBB certification.
- Clinical laboratory training program and five years of clinical laboratory experience at a licensed, certified or accredited facility.
- Ability to follow moderately complex oral and written instruction.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to organize and manage time effectively.
- Must be able to multitask and organize and prioritize own work schedule.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Previous supervisory experience.
This is a full-time position, with work shifts that may include weekends, holidays, evenings and on call. Starting salary range is $28.00 - $33.00 per hour based on relevant experience. Relocation package negotiable. Background check and drug test required. Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer/DFWP/Tobacco Free.
The position description may not include all the duties and responsibilities of the job. Duties and responsibilities that are not listed, but which the employee may be expected to perform, will fall within the scope of the skills, knowledge and training for the position.
LifeSouth is a Drug-Free and Tobacco-Free Workplace. LifeSouth is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor as well as an affirmative action employer and provides equal opportunity to all persons, regardless of race, religion, age, gender, disability, status as a protected veteran, national origin, color, or any other classification in accordance with federal, state, and local statutes, regulations and ordinances. Veterans are encouraged to self-identify as LifeSouth desires to provide protected veterans priority referrals for open positions. LifeSouth complies with all laws and regulations associated with the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
If you require any assistance to complete the application process or during the interview due to a disability, please contact the LifeSouth region where you are applying or call 1-888-795-2707 to request an accommodation. If you have questions regarding the information contained in this job posting call 1-888-795-2707 and ask to speak to the Talent & Recruitment Coordinator. Applications may be completed at a LifeSouth facility or mailed to corporate headquarters in lieu of the on-line application process.
About LifeSouth Community Blood Centers
LifeSouth Community Blood Centers is a community blood supplier for local hospitals in Florida, Georgia and Alabama. LifeSouth is committed to meeting the blood supply needs of these hospitals in each of the communities we serve by providing the highest quality blood components and services.
Each year, nearly five million Americans need a blood transfusion. To meet our responsibility, we need to collect 266,000 blood donations a year. That’s 728 donors a day. With over 30 donor centers, 37 blood mobiles and over 1,000 blood drives a month, our LifeSouth team is committed to making sure the blood is there when you or your family member is in need. We are your community blood center. The blood supply collected from our donors directly serves the needs of patients at over 100 medical facilities throughout our footprint. The blood donated here will stay in our community for local patient transfusion. Only if our local supply is met will LifeSouth share our blood resources with other communities.
There are no substitutes for blood. Patients who need blood transfusions to survive depend on volunteer donors who give the gift of life. As a community blood center serving the communi...ty’s needs, we ask everyone to join us in a commitment to grow this community’s blood supply. We promise to partner with businesses and provide dynamic, fun and innovative blood donor recruitment programs. We promise to use every resource we have to uphold our commitment to meet the community’s needs for blood.
Volunteering to give blood is giving the gift of life. We hold this gift with the highest regard. Please consider becoming a part of our community’s blood supply by donating blood with LifeSouth.