This position develops, directs and manages the Blood Bank, Bone Marrow Transplant (BMT) Processing Laboratory and Human Leukocyte Antigen (HLA) Testing departments of the clinical laboratory to effectively meet Company objectives.
1. Hires, trains and conducts performance evaluations, and directs the workflow for the departmental staff. Provides for the education, development and mentoring of staff. This position is also accountable for participating in the development and implementation of departmental goals and objectives. Ensures all goals and objectives are met timely and effectively.
2. Prepares and/or participates in the development of the department budget in conjunction with established goals and objectives. Ensures budgetary goals are met on an annual basis.
3. Accountable for the laboratory or laboratories maintaining accreditation with College of American Pathologists (CAP), Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), American Association of Blood Banks (AABB), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy (FACT), American Society for Histocompatibility & Immunogenetics (ASHI), licensing for Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) for patient care and nursing. Also ensures laboratory is compliant with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations. May include monitoring activities impacted by Banner Health initiatives for patient care.
4. Performs process management by leading and participating in task forces and councils. This includes participating in the development and implementation of processes, procedures, matrix and programs to increase operational efficiency, compliance and effectiveness, as well as ensure the delivery of quality patient and customer care by using Six Sigma and Lean.
5. Serves as a resource and communication liaison by facilitating timely and accurate dissemination of information to Banner Health and LSA/SQL.
Bachelor’s degree in Business, Health care administration, Science or related field.
Certification as a medical technologist under ASCP, NCA or equivalent as defined under CLIA ’88 regulations.
Five (5) years’ experience in a leadership role.
Two (2) years’ experience in first-line or mid-level management or supervision in a hospital blood bank.
A significant understanding and knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices and procedures of different software is required.
Oral/written communication skills, analytical/strategic skills.
Ability to prioritize and perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
Green Belt Trained.
Certification as a Specialist in Blood Banking.
Experience with AABB, FACT and/or ASHI accreditation.
Sonora Quest Laboratories, a joint venture between Banner Health and Quest Diagnostics, is the nation’s largest integrated laboratory system with approximately 3,100 employees serving more than 23,000 patients every day throughout Arizona. We are the market share leader in clinical laboratory testing in Arizona, performing more than 60 million diagnostic tests per year. We offer a local comprehens...ive test menu which encompasses routine, molecular, prescription drug monitoring, cytogenetic, and pathology testing services. Ninety-eight percent of all testing is performed at our primary testing facilities located in Tempe, Tucson, Flagstaff, Prescott, and Yuma.